Tuesday, March 2, 2010

squeaky clean windows and mirrors - Day 13

It's true! You can make your own window cleaner, and you can have streak free windows and mirrors :) Combine the following in a spray bottle:

2 cups of water
1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar
a squirt (about 1/2 teaspoon of liquid soap)
(Label and keep it out of the reach of children)

My favorite thing to clean with is newspaper from the recycle bin. It does a great job at cleaning, I don't buy or use paper towels, the windows are not streaky, and I re-recycle the newspaper when I'm done. (When the vinegar/water/soap solution dries on the newspaper, it is not going to hurt the paper recycling process.)

When doing windows, I wash the outside in one direction (horizontal), and the inside vertically. This way if I do end up with any streaks it is easy to figure out which side needs a touch-up. To help prevent streaks in the first place, weather conditions are a factor. The best time to wash windows is on a overcast day. If it is too sunny the solution will dry before you can clean, leaving streaks. The same process works wonders on mirrors too.

I know it's silly, but streak-free sparkly windows and mirrors make me smile. It's the little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment