Thursday, April 1, 2010

My carbon neutral blog

What do you mean your blog is "carbon neutral"?                                              

Let me start by saying that I had never considered that my blog contributed to CO2 emissions.  How is that possible?  I learned that the emissions are mostly attributed to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems.  Well, I’d never really thought about it like that, but it makes sense.  Some highly frequented blogs contribute as much as 8lbs of CO2 emissions in a year! 

How does a tree neutralize my blog's carbon footprint?


I was happy to stumble upon a German group that has an initiative called “My Blog is Neutral”  (http://www.kaufda.de/umwelt/carbon-neutral/what-we-do/ ).  After reading about the initiative, I learned that their goal is to re-plant forests in northern CA that have been destroyed by fires while simultaneously “erasing” the carbon foot-print of ever popular bloggers.  A tree can absorb about 11lbs of CO2 in a year, and can continue to absorb CO2 as long it lives, therefore it is estimated that over the life of the tree, it can "neutralize" the emissions of a blog.  For each participating blog-domain, the German group who is partnered with the Arbor Day Foundation, will plant one tree, and each of those blogs will include a small logo indicating that their blog is neutral.  The trees will be  planted in Plumas National Forest in Northern California. 

It's genius, and it’s a win-win situation!!!  I’m happy for the chance to participate and help make the world a little greener as well as neutralize my blog's carbon footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment